Re: [Axiom-developer] Proving Axiom Correct

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Proving Axiom Correct
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 16:04:39 -0400

>My reason for not so much trusting theorem-proving isn't because I don't
>understand much of it (although that is a fact), but because of its formalism
>which you obviously love.

Actually, I find the formalism to be painful and very non-intuitive.
Experience has shown me that it takes about 18 months to climb that
curve.

But consider that there are two VERY large areas of computational
mathematics that have grown up side-by-side for the last half-century.
CAS and Proof exist as essentially separate bodies of computational
mathematics.

My research effort is fundamentally about joining these two areas.

Proof systems can't use CAS results because they have no basis for trust.
They take stabs at algorithmic proofs but have no good structure to
combine them (which Axiom provides).

CAS systems don't do proofs, and in fact are nearly impossible to use
as a basis (MMA uses rewrite, Maple and others use ad hoc tree-like
structures, etc.)  Axiom provides a good basis for proofs.

Axiom is ideally structured to be a bridge.

Since I'm coming from the CAS world my view of bridge-building
involves applying Proof technology to Axiom. If I were coming from
the Proof world I'd be trying to structure a proof system along the
lines of Axiom so I could organize the proven algorithms. These are
two ends of the same bridge.

>You consder Axiom code (and by implication, mathematics on which it is
>based) as "hand-waving", which in my opinion, does not necessarily mean
>non-rigorous.

I don't consider the mathematics to be "hand-waving". But I do consider
the code to be hand-waving. After 47 years of programming I'm well aware
that "it works for my test cases" is a very poor measure of correctness.
There is a half-century of research that exists, is automated, and attacks
that question in a mathematically sound way.

Axiom code is rather opaque. It is, in general, excellent code. Barry and
James created an excellent structure for its time. But time has also shown
me the cracks. One example is the coercion code, a lot of which is ad hoc,
implemented as special cases in the interpreter. There are reasonable
theories about that which ought to be implemented.

I'm not trying to do anything new or innovative. I'm just trying to combine
what everyone does (on the proof side) with what everyone does (on the
CAS side). The end result should be of benefit to all of computational
mathematics.

Tim