Re: automake 1.16.4 and new PYTHON_PREFIX

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: automake 1.16.4 and new PYTHON_PREFIX
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 16:23:33 -0600

    I think we need an easy way to set a default for this behaviour
    from within configure.ac, similar to AC_PREFIX_DEFAULT(), so that
    the end-user doesn't have to pass a bunch of options to configure
    just to get the build to work sensibly.

I have nothing against the idea, but my immediate goal is more basic:
restore the previous behavior without losing the new configure benefits
entirely.

    The current workaround I use is described below.

Thanks for sending that code. --best, karl.