Re: Automake's file locking (was Re: Autoconf/Automake is not using vers

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Automake's file locking (was Re: Autoconf/Automake is not using version from AC_INIT)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 14:43:16 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021, Zack Weinberg wrote:

Do you use different versions of autoconf and/or automake on the
different clients?

No. That would not make sense. If a client is not suitably prepared, then I don't enable maintainer mode.

The lock appears to be taken speculatively since it is taken before
Autotools checks that there is something to do.
The most common case is that there is nothing for Autotools to do
since the user is most often doing a 'make' for some other purpose.

It looks to me like the lock is taken at exactly the point where
autom4te decides that it *does* have something to do. It might be

Perhaps this experience is a side effect of my recent experience (regarding AC_INIT and versioning) and not the normal case.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/