Re: testsuite could basename the "Generated from"

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: testsuite could basename the "Generated from"
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 19:55:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019, Luke Mewburn wrote:
I notice that autoconf generating configure, and automake generating
Makefile.in both store the basename of the source file in the comments.

Currently I'm using the following to simulate this in testsuite.at
after AT_INIT():
        m4_cleardivert([HEADER-COMMENT])dnl
        m4_divert_text([HEADER-COMMENT],[dnl
        @%:@ Generated from m4_bpatsubst(__file__,[^.*/\(.*\)],[[\1]]) by
m4_PACKAGE_STRING])dnl

I think that AT_INIT() should do this by default.

If this is a good idea, I'll consider submitting a patch for AT_INIT()
in autoconf.

I think that this falls into the current trend that reproducible builds are a good thing. Anything which normalizes the output (even for temporary/transient files) seems like a good idea. The only exception is if it is necessary to know the origin and it is not intuitively obvious.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt