Re: autotest/AT_CHECK: ways to pass additional options on to diff?

From: Luke Mewburn
Subject: Re: autotest/AT_CHECK: ways to pass additional options on to diff?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 09:02:00 +1000

On 19-06-27 19:05, Jannick wrote:
  | Hi Luke,
  |
  | Sorry for the late reply.
  |
  | On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 15:56:01 +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
  |
  | > I used another solution where wanted to use a different diff
  | > implementation for AT_CHECK() that that allowed for regexes to be used
  | > in places where the output changes each test run.
  | > See my "pyrediff" project: https://github.com/lukem/pyrediff
  | >
  | > In pyrediff, I implemented a new macro with similar semantics to
  | > AT_CHECK() which temporarily overrode the setting of at_diff before
  | > calling AT_CHECK(), and set at_diff back before AT_CHECK() returns.
  |
  | Would the approach by redefining diff in the shell environment I suggested
in https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2019-06/msg00002.html be
something to avoid fiddling around with the autotest internals like the
variable at_diff?

  | > I hope that's useful,
  | > Luke.
  |
  | Many thanks for your input.
  |
  | Regards,
  | J.

Hi Jannick,

I think that has merit, and the solution of providing a diff() function
wasn't one I had considered so thanks for that!

For my purposes, I'd still implement that mechanism within
the internals of my AX_AT_CHECK_PYREDIFF() macro before it calls
AT_CHECK(). Your solution would avoid me having to set $at_diff
(although still need the save/restore logic for the function definition.)

Alternatively, a simpler solution would be for the upstream AT_CHECK()
to gain another optional argument to override the diff command :)

cheers,
Luke.