Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 20:21:53 -0400

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Ben Elliston wrote:
> I suggested a simple, low impact way of updating the files,
> particularly for people wanting to build a large number of packages
> (eg, for a distro). Can anyone tell me why this approach is not
> satisfactory?

It's what I've done for years.  Does it get rid of the problem?  I
don't think so but for legacy code that is no longer being maintained,
either you maintain it, or the problem exists into infinity with a
hard stop when someone does maintain it.  I think the battle is trying
to overcome continuing the legacy method of needing to replace
config.guess/config.sub within a package and allow a common (or
configurable) location be used as new development takes place.  Your
symlink/copy method doesn't overcome that legacy method so it would
not be a satisfactory solution since that solution continues the
legacy method.  However, your solution does help those with packages
that currently use that legacy method.

--
Earnie