Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 11:20:13 -0700

Thomas Petazzoni <address@hidden> writes:
> On Tue, 14 May 2013 23:53:44 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:

>> yes, Gentoo fixed this for every package in our tree like 9 years ago
>> (we added a common function like 11 years ago that ebuilds could call
>> manually, but we found that didn't scale).  when you run a standard
>> autoconf script, we automatically search for files named "config.sub"
>> and "config.guess" and replace them with the up-to-date host copy.  no
>> checking or anything :).  in hindsight, that seems like a bad idea, but
>> in practice, i think we have yet to find a package that this doesn't
>> actually work.

> FWIW, we do the same thing in Buildroot (a tool that builds embedded
> Linux systems from source, through cross-compilation). Never had any
> problem doing so.

Debian is moving in that direction as well.  We have two different package
helper tools that do this in different ways.  As always with Debian,
though, we're not very centralized about practices, so it takes a while to
get this deployed consistently across the whole archive.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>