Re: Autoconf does not like "-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -O2"

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Autoconf does not like "-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -O2"
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 21:36:27 -0600

On 05/08/2013 09:19 PM, Allan McRae wrote:
> I believe autoconf uses "CPP CPPFLAGS" to detect headers mainly because
> of "-I" flags needing to be considered.  Would an acceptable solution at
> the autoconf level be to split the CPPFLAGS into -I flags and others
> (-D, -U) and just use the -I ones in the header test?
>
> If that is fine in principle, I can attempt to implement it.

But that won't help you instantly fix the hundreds of existing packages
whose configure script was generated with an earlier version of
autoconf.  While I am open to making future autoconf have saner behavior
by default, you MUST consider the fact that your distro's choice of
CFLAGS vs. CPPFLAGS is the real problem here ("if it hurts, don't do
it"), rather than waiting for a patched autoconf to trickle down into
fixed configure scripts on boatloads of packages.