Re: defvar: Symbol’s value as variable is void: LaTeX-font-family

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: defvar: Symbol’s value as variable is void: LaTeX-font-family
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 11:40:02 +0200

Hi Jean-François,

jfbu <jfbu@free.fr> writes:

> I observe the following behavior on doing
>
> $ emacs $(kpsewhich lthooks.dtx) &
>
> the message "defvar: Symbol’s value as variable is void: LaTeX-font-family"
> appears
> and Emacs does not open the dtx file.

That variable was added to latex.el with commit 82a23a93ae; but I think
you've found it already.

> To be precise I currenty am using the git repo at commit
> d6fb3c58c
> $ git log --oneline -5
> d6fb3c58 (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD) Be more resilient when
> parsing arguments
> bd2c1c67 (tag: release_13_2) ; Release_13.2
> b49bb229 ; make change-history-commit
> ec742f33 ; Prepare for new release
> 191db684 Improve style/enumitem.el

Your latex.el should be recent enough.

> I suspect the issue could be one of incompatibility with site-start.d files
> (Later I will try this on my macos laptop)

I suspect you have multiple latex.el's on your HD.  Open a .tex file in
order to load AUCTeX and then try:

  M-x list-load-path-shadows RET

Maybe that helps.

> Don't know if that matters but I see a commented-out line in my .emacs
>
>        ; (unload-feature 'tex-site)
>
> It was commented out in 2018 with "commenting-out else
> does not load since system upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04"
>
> (but no idea about what "does not load" meant)

You're using AUCTeX from a git repo, so it should be sufficient to load
AUCTeX as described here[1].  Maybe you want to check your init file as
well.  HTH.

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]