Re: AUCTex in WSL cannot find TeX Live in Win

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: AUCTex in WSL cannot find TeX Live in Win
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 11:17:26 +0200

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

>> One intuition (though it is mainly just that) I may be not wrong
>> about, remains: Wsl is quite alright, but there is something that
>> emacs/ aucteX, vulgo, don't get. Back to square 1, I guess...
>
> I'm almost running out of ideas.

I didn't follow this thread closely, so sorry if my next suggestion is
totally off.  Maybe it works if one writes some small wrapper bash
scripts in WSL which then runs the Windows executables.  I run tlmgr.bat
in bash (coming with Msys2) on Windows like this:

  -> which tlmgr
  /usr/local/bin/tlmgr

  -> cat `which tlmgr`
  #!/bin/sh

  # This is a small wrapper around tlmgr.bat in order to use it under
  # bash from Msys2.  Note the double // for escaping /
  cmd.exe //c tlmgr.bat "$@"; exit $?

Note that // is a Msys2-thing.  cmd.exe and tlmgr.bat are in my $PATH
which looks like this in a MinGW64 bash-console (linebreaks added for
better legibility):

  -> echo $PATH
  /mingw64/bin:
  /usr/local/bin:
  /usr/bin:
  /bin:
  /c/Windows/System32:
  /c/Windows:
  /z/pathto/texlive/2022/bin/win32:

So I would write a wrapper to pdflatex, put it under WSL somewhere in
$PATH, put an entry for WSLENV[1] in it if necessary, and then start
Emacs and see if it works and AUCTeX finds the binary/script.

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/share-environment-vars-between-wsl-and-windows/