Re: TeX-next-error log buffer

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: TeX-next-error log buffer
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 11:42:38 +0000

Dear Ikumi,

Thank you for this reply.

    > Hi Greg and Colin,
    >> That is, there are two buffers involved: the *TeX Help* buffer
    >> with the error message, which is a read-only buffer and is
    >> updated without any echoed message; and the <myfilename>.log
    >> buffer, which is a file read from disk, and changing it results
    >> in an echoed message.  (Assuming you have auto-revert mode
    >> enabled.)

    > Thank you, it seems that `global-auto-revert-mode' is the key to
    > this issue. I did observe the echoed message that Colin described
    > after I enabled `global-auto-revert-mode'.

    > (To Colin: AUCTeX does not always open the log file when C-c ` is
    > typed.  AUCTeX has its own error message catalogue in
    > `TeX-error-description-list' and checks if the current error is
    > listed in this catalogue. If found, AUCTeX displays the message in
    > the catalogue and does not open the log file. Hence it's necessary
    > to cause error not listed in the catalogue in order to make AUCTeX
    > to open the log file intentionally.)

That explains why sometimes the log buffer opened yet another times it
didn't and I was therefore unable to reproduce the error. I've confirmed
this by examining my TeX-error-description-list, deliberating inserting
an appropriate error in my document and then compiling. I've been using
auctex for over 20 years and in that time I have never once used
"Tex-next-error" until last week. So the occasional opening and
reverting of the log buffer seemed very odd behaviour to me.

    >> If this is indeed what happens, one option is to set
    >> `auto-revert-verbose' to nil, another is to add fundamental-mode
    >> (in which the log file is opened) to
    >> `global-auto-revert-ignore-modes'.

    > Colin, do these workarounds suit you?

These work, but I think I'd rather keep the verbose reverting - they are
useful for other modes. Now that I know what is happening I can just
delete the log buffer by hand.

Thank you Ikumi (and Greg) for helping me with this. I would never have
discovered what was happening myself and just thrown it onto the large
pile of stuff called "Unexplained".

Best wishes,

Colin.