Re: TeX-next-error log buffer

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: TeX-next-error log buffer
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 18:31:52 +0000

Hello Greg,

    >> <m43cap@yandex.com> writes: > > When the error is corrected and
    >> the file is re-compiled, the log buffer is > > updated with an
    >> echoed message. The log buffer is not deleted and on every > >
    >> compilation thereafter the echoed update-message is again
    >> displayed.
    >>
    >> > That doesn't occur for me. My emacs opens the log file in
    >> read-only > buffer and doesn't pay attention whether the log file
    >> is updated or not.  > Could you provide more detail?
    >>
    >> Well, this is most embarrassing. I find I cannot reproduce the
    >> effect and indeed the log file behaves exactly as you stated. I
    >> will watch things carefully and report back if I can reproduce
    >> it. In the meantime, please accept my apologies for wasting your
    >> time.

    > Perhaps I misundertood, but I thought Colin meant: for some TeX
    > errors, AUCTeX opens the log file that TeX creates, and it is
    > reverted on each subsequent TeX run, resulting in a message in the
    > echo area which is indeed annoying.

That is what I meant.

    > That is, there are two buffers involved: the *TeX Help* buffer
    > with the error message, which is a read-only buffer and is updated
    > without any echoed message; and the <myfilename>.log buffer, which
    > is a file read from disk, and changing it results in an echoed
    > message.  (Assuming you have auto-revert mode enabled.)

I had global-auto-revert-mode on.

    > If this is indeed what happens, one option is to set
    > `auto-revert-verbose' to nil, another is to add fundamental-mode
    > (in which the log file is opened) to
    > `global-auto-revert-ignore-modes'.  Again, unless I misunderstood
    > what the problem is in the first place.

I have managed to get myself confused. As I reported earlier, I don't
seem able to reproduce the error. I need to take a step back and
approach the problem in a logical manner (this I hadn't done since I was
busy trying to finish writing a document). I will report back.

Best wishes,

Colin.