Re: [AUCTeX] Preparing new AUCTeX version and comments about more freque

From: Norbert Preining
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Preparing new AUCTeX version and comments about more frequent releases
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 10:31:25 +0900

Hi Mosè

> AUCTeX 11.91.  Is there any other quick change that you would like to
> see into this version?

Not from my side.

> In addition, Norbert Preining expressed[1] the wish to see more
> synchronization between ELPA releases and stable releases, because

Not necessarily! I leave this to the maintainer to decide what they want
to release with tarballs etc.

The only thing I ask for is please do not switch to ELPA releases only,
but do proper releases at times.

> I'd like to cooperate as much as possible with downstream
> distributors, but I'm not sure about what's the best way to do it:
>
> * start tagging and releasing bug-fix versions also in the main
> repository (not only in ELPA)?

That would be nice indeed. Also for the history. Having a tag
        elpa_11.90.2
or similar in the git repo would allow those who want to to build from
elpa releases, too.

> * other options?

Another option would be of course to only do ELPA and stop doing
normal releases. That would of course create quite some work for
distributors because they would have to switch to ELPA packaging,
but recently at least in Debian packages made from ELPA are increasing,
and AFAIR tools for elpa packaging are available.

Again, all this is from a my POV! I am *not* the Debian developer
of AucTeX, but the one of TeX Live, but have worked with the
Debian developer at times. So finally it is the decision of the
auctex maintainer what to do with auctex in Debian, not mine ;-)

All the best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer