Re: [AUCTeX] simplifying keyboard shortcuts

From: Mosè Giordano
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] simplifying keyboard shortcuts
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 11:39:48 +0200

Hi Jonas,

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to configure auctex in a way that when I press f5, it
> (1) compiles, and
> (2) upon successful compilation calls forward-pdf, and upon unsuccessful
> compilation splits the emacs window and shows the first error
>
> Does anbody have something to paste in .emacs to make that work?

AUCTeX already has you covered.  If you have a recent version (>=
11.88, but I strongly recommend always using the latest ELPA version)
you can use C-c C-a to compile the document (it'll run all the needed
command to completely build it) and automatically open the viewer.  In
addition, if you set `TeX-error-overview-open-after-TeX-run' to t, the
error overview will be presented to you.  You can either customize the
variable with

    M-x customize-variable RET TeX-error-overview-open-after-TeX-run RET

and toggle to "on", or add the following line to your init file:

    (setq TeX-error-overview-open-after-TeX-run t)

C-c C-a is basically meant to replace your C-c C-c workflow, unless
you want to run just once a specific command.

Bye,
Mosè