Re: [AUCTeX] ConTeXt support?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] ConTeXt support?
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 08:47:02 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>>> No.  Code does not tend to change by itself.
>>>

>> Such a wonderfully helpful answer. Such a fine example of FOSS
>> attitude.
>
> What answer do you expect?  David's reply above is (a) informative,
> (b) concise, and (c) funny.  As he rightly states in another email,
> everything is volunteer's work, so it's *you* who could improve
> ConTeXt support, for example, by delivering well written bug reports.

He was complaining about the extent of Context support, and there are
not really currently active developers for most parts of AUCTeX.  If
anything non-trivial happens, it tends to be with LaTeX package support
these days.  It must have been years since anybody worked on Context
support.  So even a perfectly well-prepared bug report that focuses on a
missing feature or requires a minimum amount of Context knowledge is not
likely to meet much response these days.  As I said: code does not tend
to change by itself.

Free software has a lot of devoted friends (cf
<URL:http://www.online-literature.com/poe/176/>) that will develop a
moral view allowing themselves to tell others what "FOSS attitude" they
are supposed to have, but all the beautiful things about Free Software
that one can lecture about require an avid listener ready to put them
into practice, and there is not much effort going on for AUCTeX at the
moment, and certainly not for its Context parts.

--
David Kastrup