Re: [AUCTeX] forward / backward with evince

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] forward / backward with evince
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 09:24:33 +0200

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> Argh!  Now I've searched for the docs of the Evince DBUS API, and in
> 3.4.0 they removed the timestamp parameter and changed it to "String
> owner"!  What a mess... :-(

Oh, I was a littlebit confused (I wrote that before my first coffee).
The signatures didn't change, and SyncView wants the timestamp, not
FindDocument.

In any case, providing just 1 as a timestamp doesn't seem to behave any
different that providing the current POSIX time.  So I fixed it in CVS
by providing 1 if emacs ints are too small.

Mandar, I also checked when the needed Evince Daemon DBUS service was
introduced.  It was around Evince version 2.30, but the API changed
several times before 3.0.0.  Most importantly, before 3.0 you couldn't
spawn a new evince instance via DBUS, which means AUCTeX would need to
check if evince is running via DBUS, spawn a new instance via the
command line if not, and then sync the view again via DBUS.  Another
major API incompatibility is that until 2.91.3 (an unstable release) you
needed to provide the local path to the document, and now evince wants a
URI.  All in all, I think it's not worth the complexity to support the
unstable pre-3.0 evince DBUS API.

So the problem with the arithmetic error is fixed now, and on your home
machine with evince 2.x, the View command should trigger the command
line "evince -i 17 /path/to/file.pdf".

If you have a machine with evince 3.x, then the View command should
trigger TeX-evince-sync-view which also focuses and highlights the
current line in evince.

Bye,
Tassilo