Re: [AUCTeX] TeX Fold on Emacs 24: temporary unfolding doesn't work

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TeX Fold on Emacs 24: temporary unfolding doesn't work
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:53:46 +0100

On Mar 20, 2012, at 2:02 PM, Joost Kremers wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just upgraded from the latest stable release (Emacs 23.something) to
> the latest Emacs 24 pretest (24.0.91.1) and reinstalled AUCTeX (11.86).
>
> Now I suddenly find that "walking into" a folded segment to temporarily
> unfold it doesn't work anymore with C-f and C-b. It does still work with
> the cursor keys, though.
>
> A quick C-h c shows that the cursor keys are bound to <left-char> and
> <right-char>, whereas C-f and C-b are bound to <forward-char> and
> <backward-char>, respectively. Is this the cause of the problem (or
> feature, if it is intentional)? Is there an easy fix? I hardly ever use the
> cursor keys...

I can confirm this.  The offending code is at tex-fold.el around line 885.

;; See preview.el on how to make this configurable.
(memq this-command (list (key-binding [left])
                                                 (key-binding [right])
                                                 'mouse-set-point))

In preview.el there is a custom variable that should probably also be
updated.  At least it can changed though.

I don't know what you consider an "easy fix", but you can change that
code to (something like)

(memq this-command (list (key-binding [left])
                                        (key-binding [right])
                                        (key-binding [(control f)])
                                        (key-binding [(control b)])
                                         'mouse-set-point))

or copy the definition of function to your .emacs and change it there.

-Ivan