Re: [AUCTeX] M-q, doesn't work in LaTeX mode.

From: gerald . jean
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] M-q, doesn't work in LaTeX mode.
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:25:41 -0500

Hello,

the problem is solved, it had nothing to do with AUCTeX, at least I think.
Ralf asking me for a minimal example displaying the claimed behavior of
"M-q" forced me to find something displaying the behavior and it was hard
to find with a new document.  I went back to the document where "M-q" was
not working, I first cheked that indeed it was not working when I was at
the end of the document, it was the case.  Then I went to the beginning of
the document, where "M-q" was working perfectly well, to my surprise, then
I kept going down until it quit working and evetually I found the problem,
I found it but I still don't understand why this made "M-q" quit working?
Here it is: somewhere in my preamble I have:

\newcommand{\btable}[3]{
\begin{table}[htbp]
\begin{center}
\hangcaption{#2\label{#3}
\begin{tabular}{#1}}

\newcommand{\etable}{
\end{tabular}
\end{center}
\end{table}}

Then somewhere in my document I started a table environment NOT using
"\btable" but I ended the environnment using "\etable", as follows:

\begin{table}[htbp]
\begin{center}
  \hangcaption{Some caption.\label{Some label}}
\begin{tabular}{lrrr}
\hline\hline

some tabular entries
\etable

That did it?  Before this environment "M-q" works perfectly well but not
after.

Replacing the "\etable" with:

\end{tabular}
\end{center}
\end{table}

fixed it, don't know why though?

Thanks to Ralf for his support,

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques,
VP Planification et Développement des Marchés,
Desjardins Groupe d'Assurances Générales
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: address@hidden

"In God we trust, all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> a écrit sur 2009/01/10 12:35:37 :

> * gerald jean (2009-01-08) writes:
>
> > This doesn't say anything?  Nor in the minibuffer neither in the
*Message*
> > buffer.  I also discovered that in particular instances M-q will work,
e.g.
> > if I am in a construct like the following:
> [...]
> > if some lines are too long, or too short, M-q will do its job.  But in
> > construct like the following it will not work, no matter what:
> >
> > Le graphique~\ref{ch6:TS-cumulatif} montre le Taux de Succès
> > \textit{cumulatif}
> > pour les quatre modèles, l'ordonnancement
> > est fait par le Taux de Succès.
> > Encore une fois le modèle \textit{081212.C} démontre sa supériorité.
>
> Is that text contained in a specific environment?  Perhaps you could
> make a full minimal example of a file where `M-q' fails?
>
> Before that you could check if `M-q' works on that paragraph if you
> start Emacs with
> $ emacs -Q -l auctex your-file.tex
>
> --
> Ralf

Le message ci-dessus, ainsi que les documents l'accompagnant, sont destinés
uniquement aux personnes identifiées et peuvent contenir des informations
privilégiées, confidentielles ou ne pouvant être divulguées. Si vous avez
reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez le détruire.

This communication ( and/or the attachments ) is intended for named
recipients only and may contain privileged or confidential information
which is not to be disclosed. If you received this communication by mistake
please destroy all copies.

Faites bonne impression et imprimez seulement au besoin !
Think green before you print !