Re: [AUCTeX] Special characters in LaTeX and some Emacs commands don't w

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Special characters in LaTeX and some Emacs commands don't work!
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:20:01 +0100

* gerald jean (2008-12-18) writes:

> I am using AucTeX 11.85 from Emacs 22.2.1 under Windows XP.

> But after a while, for reasons unknown to me, none of this works anymore,
> "end-of-buffer" will echo in the mini-buffer: M-À is undefined, none of the
> special characters -- and one uses a lot of them when typesetting LaTeX
> documents -- work anymore.

`M->' or `M-<', I don't remember which one, switches the keyboard layout
in Windows.  (This is a functionality of Windows, not one of Emacs.)
Perhaps this is what's happening.  In the task bar there might be a
small indicator showing something like "EN" or "FR" which could help you
figure out which layout is active at a given moment.

> The only cure I found so far is to kill
> Emacs and restart it.

That would contradict the theory of keyboard layout switching.