[AUCTeX] Special characters in LaTeX and some Emacs commands don't work!

From: gerald . jean
Subject: [AUCTeX] Special characters in LaTeX and some Emacs commands don't work!
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:48:43 -0500

Hello,

I am using AucTeX 11.85 from Emacs 22.2.1 under Windows XP.  The upgrade
from Windows 2000 to Windows XP and from Emacs 21.3 to 22.1 was pretty much
done at the same time; I am having problems in Emacs ever since.  Later on
I upgraded Emacs 22.1 to 22.2 but the problems remain.

In a fresh session of Emacs everything works as expected, I can type
characters used by LaTeX with no problems, e.g. "[", "}", "\", "~" and all
accented letters, I mostly write in French.  Emacs functions like
"fill-paragraph", "end-of-buffer", "beginning-of-buffer" and the likes all
work fine.

But after a while, for reasons unknown to me, none of this works anymore,
"end-of-buffer" will echo in the mini-buffer: M-À is undefined, none of the
special characters -- and one uses a lot of them when typesetting LaTeX
documents -- work anymore.  I tried to play with the Mule's coding-system,
for keyboard input, for Input Method but to no avail, my knowledge in this
area is too limited to be helpful.  The only cure I found so far is to kill
Emacs and restart it.  But this happens tens of times every day and it gets
very very anoying.

I tried to get help from this list and from an Emacs list a while back but
with no luck?  I am wondering if anyone would have any hints now.

Thanks in advance,

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques,
VP Planification et Développement des Marchés,
Desjardins Groupe d'Assurances Générales
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: address@hidden

"In God we trust, all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming

Le message ci-dessus, ainsi que les documents l'accompagnant, sont destinés
uniquement aux personnes identifiées et peuvent contenir des informations
privilégiées, confidentielles ou ne pouvant être divulguées. Si vous avez
reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez le détruire.

This communication ( and/or the attachments ) is intended for named
recipients only and may contain privileged or confidential information
which is not to be disclosed. If you received this communication by mistake
please destroy all copies.

Faites bonne impression et imprimez seulement au besoin !
Think green before you print !