[AUCTeX] Default for PDF-mode?

From: David Reitter
Subject: [AUCTeX] Default for PDF-mode?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 10:13:53 +0000

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to set a site-wide default for TeX-PDF- mode in a situation where AUCTeX has not been loaded (yet). This is the typical situation for a site-wide installation, or, as in my case, for an Emacs distribution.

Up to now, I've been using `set-default' on TeX-PDF-mode. This worked fine for version 11.82, but (I suspect) since upgrading to 11.84, this has broken. PDF-mode is off.

Using a copy of `TeX-global-PDF-mode' is not an option, since `TeX- set-mode-name' hasn't been loaded.

I have seen that some people use hooks to engage PDF mode upon entering latex-mode, however, that is not a viable option because I need to leave users the freedom to revert my choice of TeX-PDF-mode setting in their .emacs, and that should be done in a customization variable rather than via "remove-hook".

Is there a recommended method to pre-configure TeX-PDF-mode? Do I need to patch tex.el directly?

Thanks
- David