[AUCTeX] Re: viewing .pdf file

From: Frederic Andres
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: viewing .pdf file
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 10:09:23 +0000 (UTC)

Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> caeruleus.net> writes:

> * Frederic Andres (2007-02-15) writes:
>
> > I guess I will stick to Acrobat for the moment, but I still
> > don't know how to "link" Emacs to Acrobat. Do I have to add it
> > to my PATH variable?
> >
> > And then, what command should I use to launch Acrobat in Emacs?
>
> Just put
> (require 'tex-mik)
> into your init file and `C-c C-v' will lauch your default viewer for
> PDF files.
>
> For further infos see the installation instructions for windows `C-h i
> d m auctex RET m Installation SPC under SPC MS SPC Windows RET' and
> the section about viewers (`C-h i d m auctex RET m Viewing RET') in
> the manual.

Thanks Ralf, it works now! It does open acrobat, but one problem remains:
indeed, I am used to compiling, then looking at something in acrobat, leaving it
open and edit stuff in the .tex file then compile again and look at the changes
in the pdf; here, if I leave acrobat open, and I change something, it tells me
it can't write  on the file (I guess because it is already in use) so that if I
C-c C-v, the pdf is not updtated.

Is there a workaround? I did check in the manual (which I have downloaded in
pdf) but, I haven't found anything about that yet.
*
Installing emacs on windows is not an easy thing. I guess I will have to dual
boot vista and ubuntu sooner than I expected 'cos I think the installation under
linux is more streamlined.