Re: [AUCTeX] Re: LaTeX tool bar on by default?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: LaTeX tool bar on by default?
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:40:26 +0100

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 14 2006, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> is there still any reason to have the LaTeX tool bar disabled by
>>> default?  The switching of the images (DVI/PDF) has been fixed on
>>> 2005-05-21.  Are there any other major problems?
>>>
>>> If we agree to enable it by default, how to do it?  Just add
>>> `LaTeX-install-toolbar' to the defcustom of `LaTeX-mode-hook'?
>>
>> I don't want the code loaded when the toolbar is switched off.  Any
>> idea how to deal with that?
>
> In message.el and Gnus, we check tool-bar-mode (Emacs) or (featurep
> 'toolbar) (XEmacs).  So something similar to the following in
> `TeX-latex-mode' would be fine, I think:
>
> (and (if (featurep 'xemacs)
>        (featurep 'toolbar)
>        (default-value 'tool-bar-mode))

(default-value 'tool-bar-mode) ?  Why that?  Why not just tool-bar-mode?

>      ;; New variable, defaulting to t:
>      LaTeX-enable-toolbar
>      (LaTeX-install-toolbar))

This seems to have the disadvantage that if people subsequently switch
the toolbar on, the LaTeX toolbar won't appear.

So perhaps we should register
LaTeX-maybe-install-toolbar
into
tool-bar-mode-on-hook

and let LaTeX-maybe-install-toolbar check LaTeX-enable-toolbar and
call LaTeX-install-toolbar only when it is active.

LaTeX-maybe-install-toolbar and LaTeX-enable-toolbar would be defined
in latex.el.