Re: [AUCTeX] Creating ps and pdf files

From: David Scott
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Creating ps and pdf files
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:17:49 +1300 (NZDT)

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, David Kastrup wrote:

David Scott <address@hidden> writes:

I have just installed XEmacs and auctex on a windows machine running XP.
(XEmacs 21.4.18, auctex 11.82).

I am loading tex-site

The installation instructions tell you what to do instead.

so highlighting is working and I can run LaTeX on my TeX files with
either C-c C-c or from the Command menu.

When I come to try and view the dvi file though XEmacs looks for
xdvi. I need to use yap for this. Also I would like to be able to
create a postscript file using dvips and a pdf file using dvipdfm. I
can do these things using a command window but I would like to be
able to do them while still in XEmacs.

Can anyone help with these problems?

The installation instructions?  INSTALL.windows tells

11. With XEmacs, AUCTeX and preview-latex should now be active by
    default.  With Emacs, activation depends on a working
    `site-start.d' directory or similar setup, since then the startup
    files `auctex.el' and `preview-latex.el' will have been placed
    there.  If this has not been done, you should be able to load the
    startup files manually with
         (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
         (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
    in either a site-wide `site-start.el' or your personal startup file
    (usually accessible as `~/.emacs' from within Emacs and
    `~/.xemacs/init.el' from within XEmacs).

    The default configuration of AUCTeX is probably not the best fit
    for Windows systems.  You might want to additionally use
         (require 'tex-mik)
    or
         (require 'tex-fptex)
    in order to get more appropriate values for MikTeX and fpTeX,
    respectively.

    You can always use

         M-x customize-group RET AUCTeX RET

    in order to customize more stuff, or use the `Customize' menu.

Thanks for this. I actually installed AUCTeX using the Tools>Packages menu, so never saw any INSTALL.windows instructions. I accept the RTFM advice however.

(require 'tex-mik) took me a lot of the way and Ralf Angeli's code allowed me to add a command to use dvipdfm. I added another command to fire up Acroread to view the resulting pdf file by modifying Ralf's command to be:
"AcroRd32 %s.pdf" TeX-run-shell
in the obvious place.

Actually I would like to be able to do a number of steps in one: for example, to run dvipdfm and fire up Acroread on it, or to run dvips and ps2pdf say for a prosper file. Any suggestions for this problem?

Alternatively I would be happy (perhaps happier) with keyboard commands in the manner of C-c C-c for running LaTeX. I have absolutely no clue how to do such a thing though. Any pointers gratefully received.

David Scott     Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
                The University of Auckland, PB 92019
                Auckland        NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830         Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:  address@hidden

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics