Re: [AUCTeX] Adding curly braces in math mode

From: Adam Johnson
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Adding curly braces in math mode
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 13:56:51 -0500

* Jens Kubieziel (2005-11-01) writes:

when typing sub- or superscripts in math mode I often need curly braces.
So I want to customize AUCTeX that everytime when I press `_' or `^' it
automagically appends `{}' and places the cursor inside. I guess this
can be done like described in 'Style Files' in auctex.info. But actually
I'm not sure how to do it in detail (without any lisp knowledge).

How about the attached patch?  Maybe the respective variable and
function should be named `TeX-insert-exp-and-subscript' instead of
`TeX-electric-exp-and-subscript' because the functionality does not
really feel like true electricity.  Other suggestions for the name?

Thanks.  It works very well.

Also, does anybody know why `TeX-electric-escape'/`TeX-electric-macro'
is implemented in a way that Emacs has to be restarted for a change of
`TeX-electric-escape' to take effect?  If nobody objects I can change
it, so that typing `\' will always call `TeX-electric-macro' (maybe
renamed) and the function will then check the value of
`TeX-electric-escape'.

Furthermore I'm looking for a way to expand math operators with indices
to its last values.
Example: I typed $\sum_{i=1}^n ...$. Later I type `$\sum_' and now I want
AUCTeX to print `\sum_{i=1}^n '. How can this be done?

Hm, isn't something like this only useful in special cases?