[AUCTeX] Re: Option for using dvipdfm?

From: Rajneesh Hegde
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Option for using dvipdfm?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:15:51 +0000 (UTC)

> Not a good idea, since minor modes are either on or off (and indicated
> in the mode line).  One should rather have a way to configure PDF mode.

actually, changing TeX-PDF-mode's definition was not the way I did it, but I
thought it's simpler and more direct. I see your point, though. Maybe my method
(see below) is feasible?

> > 2. If the value above is 'pdftex', then the C-c C-c should invoke
> > pdf(la)tex (as it does now when pdf mode is on) but when the value
> > is 'dvipdfm', C-c C-c should invoke (la)tex to produce dvi
> > output. But in that case the "File" command, instead of running
> > dvips, should run dvipdfm.
> >
> > Let me know if this makes sense (or if the option's already there in
> > AucTeX.)
>
> It makes sense, but we currently don't have a good frame work where
> this would fit into without pains.  Already the solution for
> compile/view of code including PostScript is quite ugly, and hells on

What I did was the following:

1. Add a variable called 'TeX-pdf-via-dvi' (nil means use pdftex as usual, and t
means go via dvi).

2. In the expander for %(PDF), change 'TeX-PDF-mode' to
'(and TeX-PDF-mode TeX-pdf-via-dvi)'

3. Add an expansion string called '%(FILEcmd)', with the expander
(lambda nil
  (if
      (and TeX-PDF-mode TeX-pdf-via-dvi)
      "dvipdfm %s" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f"))

4. change the shell string for the "FILE" command to '%(FILEcmd)', instead of
'%(o?)dvips %d -o %f'

This didn't seem too kludgy to me. As for AUCTeX's command invocation setup in
general, I kind of agree that it's pretty hard to digest, let alone configure.
Maybe my suggestion above will be the proverbial straw (you know, the
camel-back-breaking kind ;)). In any case, I thought I'll put this out there. No
offense taken if you feel it's not worth it :).

Rajneesh.