Re: how to add a new pdf viewer?

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: how to add a new pdf viewer?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 10:17:21 +0200

>>> "TH" == Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
> Hi Uwe,

>> TeX-view-program-list is a variable defined in ‘tex.el’.
>>
>> Its value is
>> (("Evince44"
>> ("TeX-evince-sync-view")
>> "/usr/local/bin/evince"))

> Well, kind of.  You have to figure out how that never evince version
> serves the org.gnome.evince.Daemon service.  Right now, that seems to be
> served by the old version.

Aha, thanks, that was helpful in the sense that I get an idea where to
look.

According to git blame (not sure how reliable that is) the function
TeX-evince-sync-view, was written mainly by you and Mosè

> So basically, you somehow have to configure somehow that the
> org.gnome.evince.Daemon DBUS service is provided by the new version
> rather than the old version.  Again, I have no clue where that's
> defined.  Maybe it's hard-wired in some foundational Gnome lib, i.e.,
> Gnome 40 uses the corresponding evince version.

>> BTW there seems no possibility to configure evince that it uses
>> emacsclient, to jump from the pdf to the source file. I have to use
>> okular for this and this is why I have also

> Yes, Okular supports only Editor->Okular sync via command line arguments
> whereas Evince supports both directions via DBUS but doesn't seem to
> have a command line option for syncing with the editor position.

Do you mean evince tries to do this via the TeX-evince-sync-view
function somehow?

The funny thing is that evince seems to have no configuration option for
an external editor, making the sync feature somehow opaque.

Uwe

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.