Re: Syntax classes of text in href

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: Syntax classes of text in href
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 00:27:13 +0900

Hi Arash,

> I think the problem is this[1]:

>   \href[options]{URL}{text}

>   The text is made a hyperlink to the URL; this must be a full URL
>   (relative to the base URL, if that is defined).  The special
>   characters # and % do _not_ need to be escaped in any way (...)

> Footnotes:
> [1]  From hyperref.pdf, section 6 Additional user macros.

Hmm, strange. The same portion of hyperref-doc.pdf (not hyperref.pdf,
though) reads

... The special characters # and ~ ...

for me. The second symbol is not "%", but "~".

I haven't updated my TeX Live 2022 installation yet, so maybe the latest
version is revised in such a way?

> You can have things like '%20' in the URL which would then break
> fontification if not treated verbatim.

In fact "%" is treaded verbatim in the actual pdflatex run as you say,
so I realized that hyperref.sty treats "%", in addtion to "#" and "~",
as special. Hmm, this is diffcult...

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine