Re: Showing compilation progress indicator

From: Al Haji-Ali
Subject: Re: Showing compilation progress indicator
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 23:26:38 +0100

Hello Arash,

On 19/07/2022, Arash Esbati wrote:
>> In my current implementation, the modeline is changed only in the
>> buffer that initiated the tex command. Ideally, I would like the
>> modeline of all buffers belonging to a master document to change
>> though I am still considering the best way to implement this.
>
> I hope you will figure out how to implement this :-)
Just pushed a version that implements this. It was easier than I initially
anticipated.

> I think this is would be a nice addition to AUCTeX, but keep in mind
> that AUCTeX currently requires Emacs 25 and higher.  Your package says
>
>   ;; Package-Requires: ((emacs "28.0"))

The requirement is for displaying svg images. In an AUCTeX implementation,
older versions could use text or PNG images for example.

This feature doesn't need to be included as is in AUCTeX. Instead, hooks on tex
processes creation, filtering and sentinel would be sufficient to allow my and
other packages to track the progress of these processes. I currently use the
advice system which is a bit hacky IMO, for one thing it make it difficult to
have a local mode.

> Question: Is it possible that the wrench disappears after successful
> compilation, say after X seconds?  I had the impression that it is
> currently "sticky" -- or should I just wait longer?
Ah good idea. I implemented this in the new version. Any and all comments are
welcome.

Best regards,
-- Al