LaTeX-fill-environment could be a bit more liberal/sophisticated???

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: LaTeX-fill-environment could be a bit more liberal/sophisticated???
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 09:58:03 +0100

Hi all

I am currently facing documents that contains constructions like this
\begin{equation}
  \label{eq:part2:93}
  \begin{aligned}
&n u m=\left[\begin{array}{ll}
2 & 25
\end{array}\right] \\
&d e n=\left[\begin{array}{lll}
1 & 4 & 25
\end{array}\right]
\end{aligned}
\end{equation}

Now LaTeX-fill-environment

Change it to:

\begin{equation}
  \label{eq:part2:93}
  \begin{aligned}
    &n u m=\left[\begin{array}{ll}
                   2 & 25
                 \end{array}\right] \\
               &d e n=\left[\begin{array}{lll}
                              1 & 4 & 25
                            \end{array}\right]
                        \end{aligned}
                      \end{equation}

Which is not optional. The reason seems to be that \left[ and
\begin{array} is in the same line. So if I first change the environment

\begin{equation}
  \label{eq:part2:94}
  \begin{aligned}
&n u m=\left[
\begin{array}{lll}
0 & 2 & 25
\end{array}
\right] \\
&d e n=\left[
\begin{array}{lll}
1 & 4 & 25
\end{array}
\right]
\end{aligned}
\end{equation}

Then the filling function leads to

\begin{equation}
  \label{eq:part2:94}
  \begin{aligned}
    &n u m=\left[
      \begin{array}{lll}
        0 & 2 & 25
      \end{array}
    \right] \\
    &d e n=\left[
      \begin{array}{lll}
        1 & 4 & 25
      \end{array}
    \right]
  \end{aligned}
\end{equation}

Which is basically what I want.

I think I brought up that issue some years ago and it somehow got
forgotten or it was not that important to me. Now that I have these
badly formatted documents I would appreciate
it that filling function were a bit more liberal/sophisticated.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Regards

Uwe Brauer