Re: Fontification of kernel macros

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Fontification of kernel macros
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 16:30:53 +0100

Hi Keita,

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

Thanks for your response.

> 1. I think it'a good chance to consider to include fontification for
> font specifying command in math mode such as \mathbf, \mathit etc. also,
> as proposed previously:
> https://lists.gnu.org/r/auctex-devel/2018-04/msg00014.html

I will look at it.

> 2. \qbezier accepts one optional argument, so its entry for font-latex
> should be ("qbezier" "[(((") .

Thanks, updated.

> 3. \savebox has different syntax in picture environment like
> \begin{picture}(100,80)
>   \savebox{\someboxname}(80,10)[b]{%
>   }
> \end{picture}
> (But maybe we should avoid making the regexp for \savebox too complex
> and just leave such \savebox inside picture env.)

Should we update that entry to:

    ("savebox" "|{\\|[([{")

> 4. (Topic not related directly to Arash's proposal) Current
> font-latex-built-in-keyword-classes has an entry ("verb" "*") in
> "textual" class. Is this meaningful? It seems that \verb and \verb*
> are treated independently by syntactic fontification and this entry has
> no effect.

I always had the impression that syntactic fontification caters for the
arguments, not for the macro itself.  Here a small test.  Save the
attached verb-test.el where AUCTeX can find it and open a .tex file like
this:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{verb-test}

\begin{document}

\VerbTest{foo}
\VerbTest*{foo}

\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

Now uncomment the `font-latex-add-keywords' form, save the library and
hit 'C-c C-n' in your .tex file again.

For me, \VerbTest and \VerbTest* didn't get any fontification in the
first run, only their arguments.

Best, Arash