Re: Fontification of \include

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Fontification of \include
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2021 19:50:16 +0100

Hi Keita and Colin,

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

>>> I agree with your suggestion. Considering that \include and \input
>>> have similar functionality and similar syntax, it's natural to
>>> fontify them in the same way.
>
>> Please respect these differences.
>
> Do you have some particular reason that \include should stand out
> visually unlike \input? The enumerated differences don't seem such
> important to me so far.

This is also my reasoning.  I don't think that "\include clears the
page" is such a strong argument that the macro itself should be
fontified as a warning.  Consider this trivial .tex file:

\documentclass{book}

\begin{document}

\input{intro}
\include{chap01}
\include{chap02}
\include{chap03}
\include{chap04}
\include{chap05}

\appendix

\include{appen01}

\end{document}

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: latex
%%% TeX-master: t
%%% End:

The fontification doesn't seem right to me.  As another example, how do
we want to fontify \tableofcontents?  Currently it has none, but besides
that, it inserts a new page when issued with report or book class.

I would be glad to hear from other users how they think about this, then
we can make a final decision.

Best, Arash