Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Graphics repository

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Graphics repository
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 22:57:03 +0200

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 8:40 PM, James Nash <address@hidden> wrote:

> While my Redwyne Inn gfx aren't yet finished, I figured I should start
> sharing what I've got. IIRC the CVS repo described here
> http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/index.php/Graphics:Conventions#The_Adonthell_data_CVS
>  is for the old 0.3 stuff and the newer 0.4 graphics files now live in
> wastesedge git repo under gfx/. Is that still correct?

That's more or less true. I had considered using the CVS gfx repo for
the source graphics (to cover your last question), but I guess you
could just as easily setup another repo at github for those. I doubt
that your source graphics would change that often, so there shouldn't
really be a disadvantage when keeping them in a git repo, where you
need to clone the complete repository, in contrast to CVS where you
only have to get the latest revision.

> Assuming yes, I was then wondering if I should perhaps (temporarily) create a
> new directory for my graphics to keep them separate from the existing ones
> are not based on the 48x36 (ground) tile size convention and pixel-art-ish
> style. Perhaps gfx48/ or something like that? Otherwise I think things might
> get mixed up, especially where there's old and new versions of Redwyne Inn
> pieces. I suppose models/ and maps/ would need temporary "48" versions for
> the same reasons?

Sounds like a good idea. There's a minor complication, in that some of
the editors have models/ and gfx/ hardcoded in order to create
relative paths to the appropriate image or model. But it should be a
minor change to support models<x>/ and gfx<y>/ instead.

> Once the old graphics/models/maps have been migrated we could delete the old
> gfx directory and rename gfx48 to gfx.
>
> What do you think?

I like the idea.

And while you are at it, do you still have your broccoli trees around?
If they match the size and style, would be great to check them in as
well :-).

> These things can be useful to others so they might be worth sharing (and, if
> nothing else, having a copy on github is a useful backup) but they are also a
> bit random and potentially pretty big files. My gut feeling is to keep them
> in a separate repo. I'm open to ideas and suggestions though.

You could just make your own repo on github for those. Then add links
to the Wiki so that other artists know where to look for that stuff.
But all in all, it's a good idea.

Kai