Re: [Adonthell-artwork] A partial description of Erinsford, from a nove

From: Andrew Phillips
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] A partial description of Erinsford, from a novel in progress
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 09:50:30 -0500

To go into more detail on Erinsford, I imagine it to be a moderately fortified town of some several thousand people. It's not a city, though, and in no way comparable to Cirdanth or Elgilad. It is such because while it's a large town, perhaps a few miles across at its widest point, it's not a densely populated sort of place or cosmopolitan in the way that Cirdanth is. There are literally entire working farms - pigs, dairy, food crops, and so on -  inside the outer curtain wall.

The town is much more dense inside the middle wall, in what is predictably called the Old Town. The wealthiest and most established citizens and businesses are to be found there, within the much more defensible middle wall. The Old Town, which is on the north side of the town, with Wyvern Keep at its center, sits atop a large granite outcropping. The Old Town will support lawns and gardens, but not full-scale farming. Of course, Wyvern Keep is a castle in the truest sense of the word.