Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Character portraits

From: Andrew Phillips
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Character portraits
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 07:51:12 -0600

Y'all

Given the difficulty of the last two decades before the story on Ella, premature age and a permanent sadness would be appropriate for her look. At the same time, I think you have a good point on there being something a bit Elvish or Half-Elvish about her. That might come out as mostly grey-white hair with Yellow or Red highlights, if we want to be obvious; or hints of a light brown if we want to make her simultaneously old and young, but still essentially Human.

For the Maladrim, there should be something animalistic about each of them. That something should be suggestive of their species while not being terribly obvious. Lareth dunTelro, for example, is Mingled with a Red Fox (vulpes vulpes), so his hair would be distinctly red-orange, with dark eyes and a sparse, whisker-like mustache of red hair. A normal Human (or a Player) would realize that there something is unusual about the Maladrim without being able to specific the non-Human component.

For the Forestkeepers, Maladrim and otherwise, there should be something wild and unrefined about them, buth as a result of their wilderness lifestyle and their closeness to the Half-Elves. Where the residents of the towns, cities, and villages wear wool, cotton, and other fabrics, the Forestkeepers wear buckskin, leathers, and rougher fabrics. They are able, sometimes even powerful people, but they don't have a lot of money and need their clothes to last. Of course, as foresters, they would prefer greens and browns.

Others, like Samis Desorin, would dress in keeping with their professions. Samis is a shepherd, so he would dress in rough wool (very cheap for a man who tends flocks for their wool). He is practically penniless, so he might have one or two splashes of color - a colored neckerchief or a faded shirt.

More to follow,

Andrew