Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Game Graphics

From: Emile Kroeger
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Game Graphics
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 15:16:49 +0800

> It's a bit different with character graphics, as people might
> associate a special person with the graphics and could be puzzled if
> a completely different character looks exactly the same. They could
> still serve as a starting point for modifications though.

Hmm, I think that if you change the color palette (clothes and hair
color, mostly) of a character, and use a different "face image" (ya
know, those things that appear when they talk, not that all games use
that), you can have a guy that's not easy to confuse with the old one.
Though I wouldn't recommend doing that for major characters.

> So if there was some sort of graphic repository around, I wouldn't
> mind if our graphics where added, for whatever good it does :-). But
> then again, in the end it's the artists decision ...

Well, technically, the whole game's under the GPL, so anybody could
extract the graphics and reuse them >:-) ... by the way, I'm in a
(french) association dedicated to free ("as in freedom") games, and we
*are* building a free data repository (http://data.nekeme.net/),
though it's not ready for showtime yet (If you gave me *all* the art
for adonthell right now, I wouldn't know how to put it all in ther
except image by image :-P), but someday, maybe it might be useful.

Ooh, also, you may have heard about it, but there are some nice
Creative Commons (http://creativecommons.org) licenses that are maybe
better for artwork than the GPL (At least, I tend to use Creative
commons - attribution - share alike licenses for my art stuff).

Cheers,

Emile