Re: [Adonthell-artwork] "The Art of Adonthell"

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] "The Art of Adonthell"
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:22:39 +0100

> Here's an idea I had when looking at those wonderful character drafts
> you did, LunarBlade. (Partly inspired by "The Art of Morrowind"
> booklet I showed you at the summer meeting)
>
> We could release a paper with some of the drafts we have (both
> character drafts and location sketches like the ones cirrus did during
> the summer meeting). To each draft we could add some of the background
> writings we have, which would normally not be available to the public.
>
> All in all it would give an insight into the design process. Might
> show different characters in different states of development,
> locations in early and final states. The accompaning pieces of writing
> could clearify things that weren't that obvious in the game.

I'm *ALL* for it! As a fan of Gunnm, I've been so happy when they
released a re-edition with the author's sketches and original notes.
Actually I've spent more time reading them than reading the actual
story! It was in the same spirit than your Art of Morrowind book.

> So it would be something to give to our fans (hope we'll have a few).
> It'll also put some more use to all the work of artists and writers.

Yep. Since we have background stories, key characters, an extensible
world with several people working on it, I'm sure we'll get some people
to really like it once we release something which makes a more intensive
use of the stories. What Dun Barethsol should be. The plot is already
*great* alone! :)

> The only downside is that is might contain spoilers. So either we'll
> have to be careful what we add, or we'll have to ask people to play
> the game before looking at it.

I guess it should be released after the game anyway, so we can have a
back-look at our work and feel the evolution. Anyway, I'm starting
archiving all the sketches that are sent here. Once time has come, we
could make a downloadable pdf. And since it's quite easy to get printed
now, maybe we could even sell actual books!

But let's make 0.4 first! ;)

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org