Re: [Adonthell-artwork] first real map gfx

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] first real map gfx
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 23:22:07 +0100

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:02:47 +0000 cirrus wrote:

> Well I tried to fake that actually - if you look closely you should be
> able to see the riverbed under the water. I have all the gfx as
> layered XCF files so I can easily make the water more transparent.

We'll have to see if that would look better perhaps. Right now it looks
as if the water was pretty deep. While that is okay, there should be a
more shallow zone along the shore. Let's try a pic: right now it looks
more or less like this:          ___________

   River  |
  ________|

Maybe you could make it more like this:
             _________
            /
   River  /
  ______/

So the transition between the grass and river won't be that abrupt.

There is one additional thing that speaks for seperating water and
ground tiles. You could vary the ground somewhat (sand or mud at some
places), or add some additional objects like seeweed or even fishes. I
think that would be the thing to do for most parts. Use a small number
of ground tiles that can be customized by additional objects. For the
grass that could be patches of flowers or mushrooms. Or the odd tree of
course. That our terrain won't look too uniform and repetetive without
the need of that many gfx.

Kai