RE: [Adonthell-artwork] first new res anim

From: walther-franks
Subject: RE: [Adonthell-artwork] first new res anim
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 23:32:47 +0100

> Sorry, there are still a few points that are not clear for me:
>
> About the size: When I said the character was 100 pixels height,
> you replied that the feets shouldn't be taken into account (and
> you placed the images on the fakeshot accordingly to this). But,
> when you look at the 0.3 character, you realise that his position
> is actually a bit behind the new one - his feets are completely
> on the same square (his gravity center being at the bottom of the
> square), while the new character has his feets overlapping to the
> next square (his gravity center being exactly at the limit of the
> two squares).
>
> I've compared the ripped character I use for the new mapengine
> tests with the skeleton. While the ripped character looks quite
> fine on the map test (maybe being a little bit too small), the
> new one seems really enormous in comparison. What I fear is that
> even small houses will be so huge you could never see them
> entirely - and the area around would be too limited, making it
> difficult for the player to orient himself.
>
> See the attached shot (of the new map engine, Ben, don't be
> scared ;)) to compare the two characters. As you can see, their
> gravity center is exactly at the same level. I'd say, a slight
> scale so the head of the skeleton fits into the square it
> currently overlaps vertically would make it perfect. Sorry for
> this never ending thread, but I hardly feel it the size it is
> now. (don't forget also that the bigger it is, the more frames
> you need to make a smooth animation ;)). Of course, it's harder
> to judge on the skeleton. Maybe we could reach a final decision
> once we have the same south frame, but with an actual character
> on it. The ske

Okay, you've finally convinced me - good work!  ;)

You're right in saying that with my size characters there wouldn't be enough
room on the map. So lets make a decent compromise, as you have suggested,
between detail level and overview area:

An average human measures roughly 80 pixels when regarded at a 45 degree angle
from the top. So the pic itself from hair to toes fits exactly on two tiles.
I have attached the corrected pic of the skeleton plus a quick scan of a
possible human south frame, if that's any help.

It's good to have such a persistent person like you, maybe otherwise we would
have been cursing when building maps and noticing the limited space...
Keep it up, Alex!  :)

Do the others agree with this?

> Oh, last recommandation - I don't know if I told it already, but
> please to not draw the shadows of the characters anymore. As
> there will be some sort of altitude parameters, allowing them to
> fall and such, this will be handled separately.

Ok, yes, we had planned to seperate shadows from the character. Right.

BEN