Re: [Adonthell-artwork] first new res anim

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] first new res anim
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:15:12 +0100

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 10:33, you wrote:
> that's about it, I'd say. Maybe it's a bit big however - 100 pixels
> height is a bit much for a human, IMO. I'd say you can scale it so the
> height is rather something like 60-80 pixels.

Not really. The sprite is 100 pixels, but the character itself is only 80
pixels tall. If you could rotate the camera and look at the character from
the front, the size would be fine.

The question is of course if we should make the sprite smaller. But then you
can't just scale the y dimension. Sorry to say that, but on your example
the guy looks really fat.

Perhaps we should define some guidelines for the size of our graphics.
Like how many pixel make 1 meter, for example. I imagine with our top-down
view, we'd have different scales for the different dimensions. The y and z
directions are squished somewhat.

That would make creating graphics a lot easier, as you could take the sizes
of a real object (which are usually well known) and translate them to the
size the object would have in the game world.

I think this is a must, if more artists make graphics, as they might not fit
together otherwise.

> This way, the arms won't
> fit perfectly in the 40 pixels box, but that's no problem - this will
> give you room for clothes movments

Well, I consider the 40 pixels to be guideline rather than a limit. If some
hair or clothes are larger, that wouldn't matter much, I think.

> Graphically, map rendering will be extremly detailed
> and beautifull. But there will be less stuff visible on the map view, of
> course. (a bit) Smaller gfxs will result in less detailed rendering, but
> also a more global vision of what's around. Imaginating the 100 pixels
> character on a 640x480 mapview, I fear you won't see enough stuff on the
> screen. Houses would really be enourmous, for example.

That's right. Perhaps you should scale down the sprite to 80 pixels, Ben.
That way, the actual character height will be 65 pixel.

Kai