Re: [Adonthell-artwork] v0.4 gfx request

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] v0.4 gfx request
Date: 08 Feb 2002 17:55:19 +0100

> I think Ben wanted normal characters to be up to 40x80px. By normal I
> mean door to houses would be that size so player and NPCs can walk
> through - but a big Orc might be larger and a dragon would definitely be
> larger! :P

Mmm yeah, that's probably more realistic. Take an average human, he'll
be much higher than 1.5 times his width. Maybe you guys could do some
test drafts and submit them. Anyway this won't have any influence on the
squares' size.

> Tht reminds me - presumably we will have a few big boss monsters that
> need to be killed to progress throgh the game, right? (you can't really
> do an RPG without IMO) Would it be possible to make such huge characters
> consist of several seperate parts to let them move more flexibly? For
> example, in SoM the is a 2-headed dragon thing and the necks are made up
> of a few... well, balls that move together as if they were all on a
> string or something. There is a big snake that is made up in the same
> way. This has many advantages IMO - you need far less gfx (imagine doing
> frames for every possible position the snake can have) and allows for
> more freedom of movement for the monster. We won't need this for some
> time yet but I thought I'd ask now anyway.

Uh, yeah, haven't thought about this yet. That's a good point. The map
structure will be totally different from what it is now (for example,
you'll have a map_moveable class to represent any moving object, which
mapcharacter inherits from), so I think that with a map_character and
several map_moveables this would be possible. Such a particular case is
too rare to weigh the map_character class, but with a few element
communicating to each others, this should be doable a clean way.

Alex.

--
http://www.gnurou.org