[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Zutils-bug] Zutils 1.12 released
Antonio Diaz Diaz
[Zutils-bug] Zutils 1.12 released
Tue, 10 Jan 2023 18:02:48 +0100
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14
I am pleased to announce the release of zutils 1.12.
Zutils is a collection of utilities able to process any combination of
compressed and uncompressed files transparently. If any file given,
including standard input, is compressed, its decompressed content is used.
Compressed files are decompressed on the fly; no temporary files are
created. Data format is detected by its identifier string (magic bytes), not
by the file name extension.
These utilities are not wrapper scripts but safer and more efficient C++
programs. In particular the option '--recursive' is very efficient in those
utilities supporting it.
The utilities provided are zcat, zcmp, zdiff, zgrep, ztest, and zupdate.
The formats supported are bzip2, gzip, lzip, xz, and zstd.
Zutils uses external compressors. The compressor to be used for each format
is configurable at runtime.
zcat, zcmp, zdiff, and zgrep are improved replacements for the shell scripts
provided by GNU gzip. ztest is unique to zutils. zupdate is similar to
The homepage is at http://www.nongnu.org/zutils/zutils.html
The sources can be downloaded from
The sha256sum is:
This release is also GPG signed. You can download the signature by appending
'.sig' to the URL. If the 'gpg --verify' command fails because you don't
have the required public key, then run this command to import it:
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 8FE99503132D7742
Key fingerprint = 1D41 C14B 272A 2219 A739 FA4F 8FE9 9503 132D 7742
Changes in version 1.12:
* The zutils configuration file 'zutilsrc' has been renamed to
'zutils.conf'. Zutils now looks for the configuration file in
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/zutils.conf instead of $HOME/.zutilsrc. (XDG_CONFIG_HOME
defaults to $HOME/.config). (Suggested by Adam Tuja).
* In zcat, zcmp, zdiff, and zgrep, the option '-O, --force-format' now
can force also "uncompressed" format.
* zcmp now accepts the option '-H, --hexadecimal' to print byte values in
hexadecimal instead of octal.
* In zcmp:
The long name of option '-s' has been changed to '--script' following a
similar change made to GNU ed.
The short name '-q' has been assigned to options '--quiet' and '--silent'.
Option '-q' now only suppresses diagnostic messages written to stderr.
Option '-s' now only suppresses messages about file differences written to
stdout or stderr.
Option '-l, --list' is now different from option '-v, --verbose', which
now undoes the effect of '--quiet'.
* zcmp now prints byte and line in EOF message like GNU cmp:
"zcmp: EOF on FILE after byte B, in line L".
* zgrep now also accepts the following options: '-G, --basic-regexp',
'--label=<label>', '--line-buffered', '-P, --perl-regexp', '--silent', '-T,
--initial-tab', '-U, --binary', and '-Z, --null'. (Reported by Chris
Jamboretz and Leah Neukirchen).
* ztest now exits with status 2 if an uncompressed file has a compressed
file name extension, or if a compressed file has a wrong compressed extension.
* zupdate now accepts option '-d, --destdir' to write recompressed files
to another directory. This allows, for example, recompressing files from a
read-only file system to another place without needing to copy or link them
to the destination directory first.
* zupdate now accepts option '-e, --expand-extensions', which makes it
expand combined file name extensions; tgz --> tar.lz.
* zupdate now also accepts option '-i, --ignore-errors', which makes it
ignore non-fatal errors. (Suggested by Antoni Sawicki).
* All utilities now support compress'd (.Z) files through gzip. For this
to work, the gzip program used (for example GNU gzip) must be able to
decompress .Z files.
* At verbosity level 1 (2 for zdiff and zgrep) or higher, '-V, --version'
now prints the versions of the compressors used (limited by option '-M,
--format'). (The compressors used must support option '-V' for this to work).
* Diagnostics caused by invalid arguments to command line options now
show the argument and the name of the option.
* It has been documented in the manual that the data format is detected
by its magic bytes, not by the file name extension.
* The testsuite now tests tarlz (if available) as compressor for zupdate.
Please send bug reports and suggestions to email@example.com
Antonio Diaz, zutils author and maintainer.
If you care about data safety and long-term archiving, please consider using
lzip. See http://www.nongnu.org/lzip/lzip_benchmark.html
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- [Zutils-bug] Zutils 1.12 released,
Antonio Diaz Diaz <=