[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Zutils-bug] Zutils 1.9 released
Antonio Diaz Diaz
[Zutils-bug] Zutils 1.9 released
Thu, 02 Jul 2020 16:59:04 +0200
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14
I am pleased to announce the release of zutils 1.9.
Zutils is a collection of utilities able to process any combination of
compressed and uncompressed files transparently. If any file given,
including standard input, is compressed, its decompressed content is used.
Compressed files are decompressed on the fly; no temporary files are created.
These utilities are not wrapper scripts but safer and more efficient C++
programs. In particular the option '--recursive' is very efficient in those
utilities supporting it.
The utilities provided are zcat, zcmp, zdiff, zgrep, ztest, and zupdate.
The formats supported are bzip2, gzip, lzip, and xz.
Zutils uses external compressors. The compressor to be used for each format
is configurable at runtime.
zcat, zcmp, zdiff, and zgrep are improved replacements for the shell scripts
provided by GNU gzip. ztest is unique to zutils. zupdate is similar to
The homepage is at http://www.nongnu.org/zutils/zutils.html
The sources can be downloaded from
The sha256sum is:
This release is also GPG signed. You can download the signature by appending
'.sig' to the URL. If the 'gpg --verify' command fails because you don't
have the required public key, then run this command to import it:
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 8FE99503132D7742
Key fingerprint = 1D41 C14B 272A 2219 A739 FA4F 8FE9 9503 132D 7742
Changes in version 1.9:
* zcmp anf zdiff now meet the POSIX requirement for cmp and diff that the
standard input shall be used only if the file1 or file2 operand refers to
* zdiff now passes the options '-W' and '-y' to diff. (But it only works
if the diff program used supports them).
* Bzip2 and lzip files are now detected better.
('echo LZIP | zcat' and 'echo BZh5 | zcat' no longer return an error).
* ztest now continues checking the rest of the files if any input file is
* 'ztest -v' now prints the number of files that failed the test (as lzip
* zcat, zgrep, and ztest now check for errors when closing the input file
in addition to checking when closing the input from the decompressor.
* Trailing data remaining in the data feeder to the decompressor are now
* zupdate has been modified to support the new behavior of lzip 1.22's
option '-o' while retaining:
perfect backwards compatibility with older versions of lzip down to 1.20,
good backwards compatibility with older versions of lzip down to 1.11,
acceptable backwards compatibility with older versions of lzip down to 1.4.
* zupdate now keeps combined extensions: tgz, tbz, tbz2, txz --> tlz.
This is useful when recompressing Slackware packages, for example.
* zupdate now puts single quotes around file names when calling zcmp to
allow file names with spaces. (But putting spaces in file names is a bad idea).
* The descriptions of zcat, zcmp, and zdiff have been improved.
Please send bug reports and suggestions to email@example.com
Antonio Diaz, zutils author and maintainer.
Self-determination is a human right. Free Catalan political prisoners.
If you care about interoperability and long-term archiving, please help me
replace xz with lzip. See http://www.nongnu.org/lzip/lzip_benchmark.html#xz1
- [Zutils-bug] Zutils 1.9 released,
Antonio Diaz Diaz <=