[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Zutils-bug] Zutils 1.8 released
Antonio Diaz Diaz
[Zutils-bug] Zutils 1.8 released
Fri, 04 Jan 2019 00:11:20 +0100
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; en-US; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14
I am pleased to announce the release of zutils 1.8.
Zutils is a collection of utilities able to process any combination of
compressed and uncompressed files transparently. If any given file,
including standard input, is compressed, its decompressed content is
used. Compressed files are decompressed on the fly; no temporary files
These utilities are not wrapper scripts but safer and more efficient C++
programs. In particular the '--recursive' option is very efficient in
those utilities supporting it.
The utilities provided are zcat, zcmp, zdiff, zgrep, ztest and zupdate.
The formats supported are bzip2, gzip, lzip and xz.
Zutils uses external compressors. The compressor to be used for each
format is configurable at runtime.
zcat, zcmp, zdiff, and zgrep are improved replacements for the shell
scripts provided by GNU gzip. ztest is unique to zutils. zupdate is
similar to gzip's znew.
The homepage is at http://www.nongnu.org/zutils/zutils.html
The sources can be downloaded from
The sha256sum is:
This release is also GPG signed. You can download the signature by
appending '.sig' to the URL. If the 'gpg --verify' command fails because
you don't have the required public key, then run this command to import it:
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 8FE99503132D7742
Key fingerprint = 1D41 C14B 272A 2219 A739 FA4F 8FE9 9503 132D 7742
Changes in version 1.8:
* A buffer overflow (CVE-2018-1000637) has been fixed in zcat which
happened sometimes when the '-v, --show-nonprinting' option was used (or
indirectly enabled). A canary byte has been added to the output buffer
to prevent the buffer overflow from happening again.
* The option '-R, --dereference-recursive', which recursively follows
symbolic links, has been added to zcat, zgrep, ztest and zupdate.
* The option '-r, --recursive' now skips symlinks that are
* If no files are given to zcat, zgrep, ztest and zupdate, a
recursive search will now examine the current working directory.
* Recursive directory loops are now detected.
* zcat and zgrep now ignore directories given in the command line if
'--recursive' is not specified, instead of reporting an error.
* Extra trailing slashes are now removed from directories given in
the command line before recursing into them.
* zcat and zgrep now show the right error when they can't open an
input file instead of showing "No such file or directory".
* Killed decompressors are now waited for, preventing failure caused
by too many open pipes.
* Test and document that if a file fails to decompress, zcat, zgrep
and ztest continue processing the rest of the files.
* Test and document that if an error happens while recompressing a
file, zupdate exits immediately without recompressing the rest of the files.
* The configure script now accepts appending options to CXXFLAGS
using the syntax 'CXXFLAGS+=OPTIONS'.
Please send bug reports and suggestions to address@hidden
Antonio Diaz, zutils author and maintainer.
If you care about long-term archiving, please help me replace xz with
lzip. See http://www.nongnu.org/lzip/lzip_benchmark.html#xz1
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- [Zutils-bug] Zutils 1.8 released,
Antonio Diaz Diaz <=