xouvert-general

Re: [xougen] Adding cruft to X

From: weigelt
Subject: Re: [xougen] Adding cruft to X
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 22:44:42 +0200

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 12:58:48PM -0700, Tupshin Harper wrote:

<snip>
> 3) Most importantly, strong synchronization. Unless the audio and
> display information travel through the same stream, and go through the
> same event handling API, there is no way to guarantee tight
> coupling(e.g. <20 milliseconds) between audio and display events.
Yes. Thats an problem.

But we could extend both sides by an exact timing system, which allows
us to define checkpoints where events are synchronized. The client can
fetch exact timestamps from rtc (assuming all hosts' clocks are in sync)
and so define exact points where an video/audio-stream should start.

So it should be possible to synchronize different media servers quite exact.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

 fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     address@hidden
 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/