Re: [Xlog-discussion] update from 2.0.13 to 15? how?

From: Andy Stewart
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] update from 2.0.13 to 15? how?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 11:58:23 -0500

On 11/25/2017 11:44 AM, Steve Yates wrote:
Is it difficult for the author to get the Repositories updated with the latest software version? For security purposes some of us prefer to use the more vetted Repositories rather than download directly from a site, any site. If we do the latter we might as well be using Windows.

That being said, I really like XLog for its simplicity and functionality. I do look forward to better ADIF support in the new version.

Now if someone with more brains than I could come up with a modern contest logger for Linux I wouldn't need Windows at all. :-)

Thanks for all of the work!

73,
Steve - AA5TB

HI Steve,

I have tried to get updated versions into the Debian and Ubuntu repositories for the last to releases, to no avail.

Savannah is a well trusted site, and note also that there is a signed file with the tarball that I've uploaded. If you trust me, then you trust that which I've uploaded, once you've verified the signature matches. If you don't trust me, it won't be any better than what Debian/Ubuntu distribute, since they get it from me.

That said, once one has downloaded the tarball, the process is quite standard:

sudo -i
cd /usr/local/src
tar xcvf xlog-<version>.tar.gz
cd xlog-<version>
Read the INSTALL file for detailed instructions.
./configure
make
make install

Regarding a "modern context logger" for Linux, perhaps cqrlog would better meet that need.

73,

Andy

--
Andy Stewart (KB1OIQ)