Re: [Xlog-discussion] Doing a bulk delete of a field in my log

From: Pierfrancesco Caci
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Doing a bulk delete of a field in my log
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 11:26:08 +0100

    Grant> Hi,
    Grant> For some reason, in the Comment field of my log, for a
    Grant> particular call sign, I
    Grant> have the name of a rig, my PFR-3, listed. I'd like to delete
    Grant> this from all the
    Grant> log entries for this call sign but haven't been able to do
    Grant> so. Any ideas? I
    Grant> have tried gedit and opening up a adif record of my entire
    Grant> log but without
    Grant> success.
    Grant> Grant McDuling
    Grant> Writer

That's because the adif file is a copy of the original, native format
log, which has extension .xlog

You can try this, change filenames as appropriate. Do this while xlog is
not running

cd ~/.xlog
cat mylogfile.xlog | sed -e "s/PFR-3/     /" > mylogfile-new.xlog
mv mylogfile.xlog mylogfile.xlog.safecopy

now run xlog and see if it worked.
The trick here is to replace the annoying string you have there with an
equal amount of spaces.

If this callsign appears in your log only a handful of times, it may be
easier to just edit the records from within xlog itself.

--
Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx