Re: [Xlog-discussion] How can I see and edit country information

From: Jan Ditzian
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] How can I see and edit country information
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 22:32:12 -0500

On 12/28/2009 09:05 PM, Ed wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:00:15 -0500
Jan Ditzian<address@hidden>  wrote:

On 12/28/2009 07:59 PM, Ed wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:57:15 -0500
Jan Ditzian<address@hidden>   wrote:

I do not know how to fix the "unknown" countries in my log.  I know
the countries, but xlog does not.  How can I see and edit the
country data for a qso?

Jan, KX2A

You will need to edit the cty.dat file or at least make sure you
have the latest version.

Ed W3NR

Ed,

Thanks.  I have the latest version provided by the PCLinuxOS
repository, which is 2.0.3.  However, I will look for cty.dat, and
edit that.

Jan, KX2A

Jan, you need to edit the cty.dat file not xlog. You need to make sure
you have the latest version of cty.dat.

I would also suggest spending a few minutes reading the xlog help file.

Ed W3NR

Ed,

I found the cty.dat file. Cty.dat lacks information on a number of special DX calls (TO0DX, etc.), and it can be updated. If someone else does this, be warned that after making a change to cty.dat, you must close and reopen xlog for it to begin using the updated cty.dat. Also, when a new version of xlog replaces cty.dat, the changes made locally will be lost.

With regard to reading the help file, the only file that seems to have directions is the one called "Manual," which is a very brief introduction, and does not seem to address the question about unknown countries. Perhaps I have overlooked something; I have done that before.

I admit that I have come to xlog from the experience of Logger32 in Windows, and I have habits about how to do things that do not apply to xlog.

I truly appreciate your guidance about cty.dat. That helps me to make decisions about how to log or annotate an entry, and whether to expect to see it in the xlog summary of countries worked.

73,

Jan, KX2A