Re: [Xlog-discussion] Log as diary

From: Joop Stakenborg
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] Log as diary
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 15:31:01 +0100

Op dinsdag 04-03-2008 om 15:56 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Martin
Ewing AA6E:
> Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> >
> > Wow, you seem to be one of the very last hams that actually print their
> > logs! I admit there is little space on a portrait size sheet to print
> > the QSO data, but selecting landscape will solve all of your troubles.
> > And yes, a special remark can be printed on a line by itself in italics
> > for instance, printing is much more flexible than displaying a GUI.
> >
> Actually, xlog's landscape printing even with smallest font still
> truncates my remarks.  I don't really trust these new fangled computers,
> especially for "archival" storage... ;-)
>
> So I did a little research: how about opening a log in OpenOffice.org's
> spreadsheet?  The log format is so simple!  The spreadsheet has some
> good properties -- you can adjust column widths by eye, and you can ask
> for text to be folded into multiple lines in a cell.  Still not perfect
> -- I ended up with tiny 5 point printing to fit everything (without much
> folding).

You must have noticed that the log uses a lot of whitespace. It won't
look very good.

The next version will use native GTK+ printing in which you can choose a
magnification factor of 1-100% for the printout. This will surely fit
your needs.

> The basic problem is that there is too much information with variable
> field lengths, especially if you make long remarks.  (Is there any limit
> on remark length?) It just won't fit on a single line with fixed columns.
>
> I guess I'm suggesting you don't have to worry about fancy printing --
> it's an impossible problem, and it depends on one's taste, anyway.  I
> can write my own report generators.  It would be handy to have a
> built-in CSV export function for that purpose.

When exporting the log, you can choose TSV (Tab Separated Value). This
can be read by all of the available spreadsheets. Make sure you select
the correct columns to export in the Settings->Dialogs and
Windows->Export page.

> But the right screen display is still an issue.
> >
> >> Thanks for your attention!
> >>

> > So when I program some of your and my ideas, will you be able to test
> > it? Can you compile xlog from source?
> >
> Yes to both!
>
> I hope this isn't making a mountain out of a mole hill, as we say.
> Maybe nobody really does print any more.  Xlog is a great product as it
> stands.

Thanks for your suggestions. They are quite useful.

> 73 Martin AA6E

Regards.
Joop PG4I