Re: [Xlog-discussion] New to list - questions

From: Peter Laws
Subject: Re: [Xlog-discussion] New to list - questions
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:12:53 -0600

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:31:56 +0100, Joop Stakenborg <address@hidden> wrote:
> Op zo, 02-01-2005 te 16:46 -0600, schreef Peter Laws:
>
> > So my questions are these:
> >
> > o N1MM can spit out ADIF logs ... can I import these into Xlog
> > assuming I decide to make Xlog my primary log?
> >
> Yes it can. However, xlog will only import the fields which are
> supported by xlog.

That's good ... the reason I ask is that at some point, I'd like to
consolidate all my electronic logs and troll them for contacts that I
can use for DXCC, etc.  I might even consider LOTW at some point, but
I plan to complete at least basic DXCC with paper QSLs.

> > o I'm going to give gMFSK a try as well as a potential replacement for
> > MMTTY for RTTY - does Xlog play nice with it?  Is it an integrated
> > combo like N1MM Logger/MMTTY?  Of course, I've got to get SuSE to
> > operate the soundcard correctly first - it doesn't want to see the
> > right inputs and outputs!
> >

> Can't really say if N1MM/MMTTY resembles xlog/gmfsk, because I have
> never used a windows environment for hamradio. If you have gmfsk running

The N1MM/MMTTY combo is pretty slick.  Basically, N1MM uses MMTTY as a
RTTY "engine" and handles all the logging (and dupe checking, scoring,
etc).  MMTTY also has a fine interface of it's own - I made 350 QSOs
in MMTTY alone during last year's WPX, so it's functional!

Both pieces are authored separately despite the seemingly similar
names.  Both are "free as in beer", no source (I don't think), but
fairly liberal redistribution rights.  About as good as can be
expected in the MS world (OK, short of GPL :-).

I'm still working on the SuSE/soundcard thing.  I upgraded the "other"
PC at N5UWY/9 to 9.2 as part of my ongoing and never-ending quest to
build a PVR and it seems to be even better with hardware, so I think
I'll probably do the same to the "radio" PC.

Thanks for the info!

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY/9 | plaws0 gmail